Ashland Restaurant Update, Early 2014
The OSF season opening is in just over three weeks. 2013 was a hard year on Ashland restaurants; some good changes, but some significant losses.
* Alex’s Plaza Restaurant: Closed just last week. No word yet on any replacements.
* Boulton & Sons: Gone. Replaced by The Lunch Show.
* CJ’s Bistro: Apparently closed–menu and website are down, business listed as being for sale.
* Happy Falafel: Closed, replaced by Campus Grill. We will miss their fries!
* Munchies: Closed. Space absorbed by Mix.
* Amuse: Reliable rumor has it that they will start serving lunch in 2014. We ate there during a couple of their test lunches and it was excellent and competitively priced vs. Larks or Standing Stone. Fries so good they might assuage the loss of Happy Falafel’s fries.
* Chateaulin: Still in limbo. A notice for application for a liquor license was posted in September, and there have been signs of construction, but still not open.
* Deli Downstairs: Expanded into the former Larry’s Cupcake space.
* Mix: Moved all their baking operations downstairs into the former Munchie’s space. Upstairs is now all seating and the coffee bar.
* Playwright: Apparently on the market (http://www.realtytrac.com/property/or/ashland/97520/258-a-st/204228272). Anybody want to buy a pub?
* Alchemy Restaurant and Bar: Replaced the prior restaurant at the Winchester Inn. DInners most days and Sunday brunch. We haven’t been yet but reviews are generally positive.
* Campus Grill: In the former Happy Falafel space, owned by the same people who own and run Red Zone.
* Oberon’s Three-Penny Tavern: On the Plaza. Renaissance-themed tavern. Music and drink, not much food.
* Salame: On the Plaza in the former Grilla Bites location. Meat, meat, more meat in a general Mediterranean setting. Really good, especially the charcuterie.
* Sammich: Sandwich restaurant opened by former chefs from Cucina Biazzi. Good stuff, way way way above most of the other sandwich-only places in town. They’re down on Bridge Street, just off Siskiyou.
* The Lunch Show: In the former Boulton and Sons space, providing some competition for Sammich and Deli Downstairs. Menu changes daily–I mean, the ENTIRE menu changes daily.
Cross your fingers for 2014!